Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The Fridge Nook

Getting the plaster gone and the header up was all that Kelley wanted going into thanksgiving. We hosted the Turkey dinner this year in the middle of the construction zone! I think her family was kind of surprised to see that on Friday I went right back into construction mode. We had everything cleaned out and free standing, so it was time to start building back.

Fridge floor is cleared out! I had to replace framing and subfloor


Added a new hardwood floor that matched the existing very old floor exactly

You can barely tell the old from the new
Our laundry room used to be a carport, apparently. There was some concrete steps that went into something, but they had been framed over for the refrigerator. The original linoleum obviously had to be removed, but after we killed the wall framing it left huge holes in the hardwood. So I decided to just strip it all the way down and replace framing and everything. Really wish I had gotten pre- and post- demolition pictures, but I had it all the way down to the concrete.

Cabinet framing!

Getting prepped for new cabinets
I wanted to use the existing studs and floor/wall framing to support the base of the new cabinets. I'm building these inside of the walls, so the face frames & doors will be flush with the wall. I need these to be sturdy, so I started by making a jigsaw puzzle of 2x4's, then wedging that sucker inside of that existing space. The result is something that is very secure, with no trouble supporting my 215lb fatass when I tried to sit on it. I can get a left cabinet that is a reasonable 13" deep, and the right cabinet can take a solid 2' of storage space.

The right side cabinet had an existing floor, so in that picture it's just an open space into the attic (not good when it's this cold up there) that goes back a full three feet. I didn't need to put any 2x4 bracing in there, it was already pretty solid.

So to me, it looks like it's time to start hanging drywall!

No comments:

Post a Comment