Thursday, September 13, 2018

Habitat

I love construction. Boatbuilding is great, furniture is a lot of fun, but residential construction has always been where it's at for me. Habitat for Humanity is an incredible organization. They provide housing for people in need, and to keep it affordable they build solid houses with volunteer labor and some donated materials.

My company is great. We get 2 days per year to go do volunteer work. And there is a guy who coordinates with Habitat to get crews from LexisNexis out there! It's a match made in heaven for me. I get to take a bunch of my developers out there and show them how to swing the hammer. This is fantastic!

Framing!

Part of the crew finding shade


My rockstar James



The tough part about this volunteer day was just the work we had to complete. Sheeting a roof isn't easy to begin with, but it was 102* outside that day. Full sun, no shade, no clouds, no breeze. They cut us loose about 2 pm because the heat absolutely put everyone under the waterline. It was easily 120* on top of that roof. it didn't play games. Still a great day and I'm grateful to be out there with some great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment