Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Extra Curricular

Outside of our regular posts about the front porch project, I got in some extra fun stuff.

First, I got to volunteer for a day building houses for Habitat for Humanity again. I literally was breaking up some rocks in the hot sun like I fought the law. Eventually I got to build a shed roof over a little outside storage area with a couple of my coworkers and that was fantastic.

The new shed-style roof
It did get really hot, and I did talk about the porch a lot. Habitat is a great cause and I'm lucky that my company gives each employee 2 days a year to volunteer as we choose. I'll go back for another day in the fall.

There's a guy in that tree - cutting it down


Now that's a big stump



One of the things that has plagued the front yard is the large dead trees. We finally found a tree guy who could get those down for us. We had two red oaks and two pines (from one stump) taken down. They left the logs that were good enough in 12' lengths, I'm trying to find a portable sawmill to come cut them up into lumber for me. There are about 9 logs, mostly pine. The really dead parts of the trees aren't usable, but the rest should be ok. And these were four trees, about 70' tall. Should be a lot of lumber. But this isn't a very accessible part of town to bring large equipment so I'm having a hard time finding anyone to return my call.

No comments:

Post a Comment