Sunday, October 6, 2019

More Daybed

I started working the cypress with the 2x4's. The weight distribution for a hanging daybed is entirely based on how the support system connects with the frame. Running strengthened lumber across the span gives the greatest chance of even distribution. I added some extra pieces to the frame to give more anchor points to the supports, then screwed them in.

Now you can see what those extra 2x3's under the slats are for

attached with pan-head draw-tite screws
I also took this opportunity to drill half inch holes in the ends for the ropes

I forget exactly where I found the dimensions, but google plans for a hanging daybed and I found it. It starts by making the corners by cutting the boards to 20" and 27". In the end, I feel like this is a bit too high. Lots of pictures show the arms and back the same height, I didn't want that. The back should be taller than the arms. But in the end I think they are both too high. Should have gone 19" and 25", maybe a bit lower than that.

After attaching the corners, my plan was to play with connecting them. I needed a front face, something to support the back, and something for the sides. Remember I started with (8) 1x6's, ripped 7 of them down to only 2.5" wide and left the cleanest one for the front face.

Corners are attached!

Got the face attached too

This is what I had left over

Came up with a center support and some back work across the top
So I started out by making the arms flat and level. Orientation is key here. I had to put the full face to the front for the short boards and the full face to the sides for the long boards to make the corners. Then I notched the arms to fit around (flush) with the long back corners at the same height and added a support piece underneath. Then I did the same thing for the back, a piece across the top of the long corners and a support on the inside of the top. This created parallel lines with the frame and provided a format for nailing. After that worked out, all I had to do was fill in the gaps!

Note the notch cut into the arm

Kelley is finishing the sanding


I sanded these boards through 80, 120, and 180 grits before assembly, so all I had to do at this point was sand with 220 and apply a finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment