Friday, November 16, 2018

Back on some feet

While the foundation dries for the porch dries, I got to prep out some other stuff. First, I got the strongback back on some feet, and rebuilt the sawhorses that fell down over Hurricane Michael.

Hanging in there


Rare photo of the kids being reasonable

with Kelley
After it cured, I got to layout a dry fit of the blocks. This dry fit is very important to get your first course exactly square and to be sure you sized the slab & the vertical rebar properly. Pro's don't need to do it, but first timers like me - I learned a lot from the dry fit that could not have been corrected afterwards.

Got a pretty straight line there but had to pull a string to be sure



First 2 blocks are in!
yes I used the chalk marking paint again to identify EXACTLY where the lines should be to keep the bottom course straight and square. Again this is critical - don't start against the house and work out. This is a freestanding structure to support the porch weight. Start with a corner. Get one corner exactly square, get the line from that corner perpendicular to the house - perfectly perpendicular. And be very exact about this one corner, everything else will fall in line if this is done right.

From there I worked a straight line back towards the house for 4 more blocks (5 and a half total in that side), then down to the other outside corner. After you get the first 2 blocks perfect, all you have to do is stay straight off of those lines and keep the first course level on all sides. The rest is easy.

Made it back to the house

That last vertical was in a bad place - a crooked line

The long side stayed pretty straight

Getting the 2nd course down quick
So after I got the first course down, I can establish the running bond and the rest of the courses can go up with some expediency. The blocks are about 34 lbs each, so I have to mix the mortar pretty stiff to hold that up while it dries. I'm filling in (called grouting, I learned) the cores where the vertical rebar is, and I need to add more verticals so I dropped some 2' long rebar in there too. I started the second course against the house on the high side of the porch with a half block (8x8x8) and the pattern is off to the races. They are too heavy to stack on top, so I'm mixing 2 bags of mortar at a time (60 lbs each from Lowe's - just add water no extra sand or anything needed). this stuff is great - but again I have to keep it thick.

Time is the problem here. If I'm lucky I get 6 bags mixed on a saturday, and that's it. Maybe a couple of bags done after work before the time change when there is still daylight after work. but there is not enough time for me to plow through this masonry! I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment