Sunday, November 25, 2018

Keep going up!

The wall keeps on going up, one block at a time. I am far from good at laying block, but I'm making it happen!

Check out that rebar

3rd course kicking off

So glad to have the 3rd row started and the 2nd row turned the corner


Happy blocklayer

It's mostly straight

Turning the next corner

2nd course is done

almost straight - almost



Final course is going!! I left the opening for the vent


Turning the almost final corner


4th course progress

3rd course is done - getting straighter

that's not bad!

Able to get the first two sill boards on before finishing the blockwork

Perspective - block is done

Put in another vent

That side wall straightened out in the end


Happy to be done with that!

No leftover blocks - all gone
Those blocks weigh 34 lbs each. I found an online estimator that thought I needed 106 blocks, so I bought 106 8x8x16 blocks, plus 3 8x8x8 half blocks and 2 of the foundation vents that are 8x16 and made to fit inline. I thought the very last block on the wall would be either a half block or a full block, it turned out to be about 13" long so I had to cut one. I ended up with exactly the right amount. No blocks left over, and I didn't have to run out while the mortar dried because I was one block short. Amazing.

Next up, I have to finish removing the old porch and set the rest of the sill & ledger boards! Floor joists await!

No comments:

Post a Comment