Friday, November 22, 2019

More Floating Shelves

I'm finally getting around to posting about finishing Lena's floating shelves. When I designed the shelves it was supposed to wrap an inside corner with a continuous line of shelves. I already got the left side of the shelves put up, now it's time to fit the right side!
Drawing with lengths

Cut out the stack of boards


This is all of the scrap oak I had left over
I started with 2 boards of red oak, 4/4 by about 6" wide rough cut. I cut them to width with straight sides, then got them through the planer and cut out the boards I needed to length. After that, I have to rip out a 1.5" strip off of the side to attach to the wall, add a bunch of holes and seal it with polyurethane.


Laid out on the new deck
I put about 3 coats of a glossy brush on poly on each side. Then I marked the stud locations inside the wall onto the strips so I could use a 3" draw-tite screw (with the pan head, like you would use for pocket joints) to attach the strips into the wall. Then I can use dowels to attach the bulk of the shelf and seal the joint to the wall.

Right side wall strips are attached


Attaching the fronts for the top sections


All set!

These turned out super cool. Lena absolutely loves them. I totally got the idea from pinterest but it executed really nicely. Her friends are pretty impressed with her room setup, and I'm really happy with the way it all turned out.
That's my pink-haired girl with all of the ducks decorating the shelves

No comments:

Post a Comment