Thursday, July 5, 2018

Before - the old porch

My next big project is going to be replacing the crumbling front porch. It's going to take concrete block, lots of brick work, plenty of woodworking, we're even going to add to the roofline. But it seems like every time we tackle big renovations like this, we forget to take "before" pictures. So here you go, all the before pictures I could get.

I hate these stairs. And the handrail.

This concrete is crumbling

Child added for size reference

Long back view of the front elevation profile


This one, I really like. As we build & landscape, think I'll try to recreate this angle

Shows you where I'm building the boat


There are a number of problems with getting in the front door. The entire hardscape is this stone L shaped path that hides a hedge and divides the front yard. The steps are pointed toward where you park the car, but the house faces a different road. Corner lots are fun. I was raised to believe that the steps should go straight in front of the front door. That stoop is barely wide enough to open the storm door. So trying to move a couch or large piece of furniture into the house means you have to lift it over the handrail from the ground. Azaleas are not supposed to be shaped into a hedge like that and those are very overgrown for the space that they have available. The stone pathway is all broken up too, the concrete just didn't hold up. The entire thing looks ok, sometimes, but is a complete design and usage failure.

So what is the correct way to layout the front entrance and landscape? We're going to start with a 10' x 16' front porch with stairs coming down directly in front of the door and three pillars going up to support a roof extended from the existing shingle lines. Concrete blocks support a painted wood floor, brick veneer around the foundation and stairs. Add rocking chairs, a porch swing, and some hanging baskets. For the landscape, a curved loose brick or stone path swoops around with an accent piece in front of the stairs, then continues towards the garden & shed. Add accent trees that get up around 20' tall with understory shrubs creating a variety of visual interest points. 

I should actually do some drawings, but I'm ready to get some concrete & block and start demo. I know what I want to do here, and I'm ready to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment