Sunday, July 1, 2018

Cutting the centerboard hole

Now that I've gotten the keel attached to all of the frames and the stem there are only a couple of other boards to go before applying the plywood to the hull. Before I build that out, however, I have to cut the hole for the centerboard. It feels dirty to work this huge keel, then try to lay the plywood down to a watertight seal, then finish the whole thing watertight, only to have a massive hole in the middle. But that's what it takes!

terrifying
The plans gave me the basic shape of the centerboard but I had to decide the overall length of the hole based on the spacing between the frames. On the top side (when the boat is right-side up) the centerboard case will have to extend above the waterline and the topside joints will have to be watertight as well.


Nothing like a giant hole in my watertight keel!


That would have been much more difficult if the chines & clamps were already in place. Up next, let's scarf!

No comments:

Post a Comment