Sunday, July 29, 2018

Finished Cabinets

Good news! I finally finished off a project I started last year. The big kitchen remodel has been wrapped up since this past winter, but there was still this loose end I needed to tie down. We found space behind the walls, so I built some cabinets. But I needed to build drawers and hang some really long slides to make the cabinets actually usable. What else do you do with one hole in the wall that is 3' deep?

Starting point - 2' deep on the left, 3' on the right
I started by attaching the drawer slides to the walls. That gave me the measurement for the width of the drawer. These are kind of high off of the ground so I needed a short side to the drawer, and a high back to prevent stuff from falling out.

Turns out, I made the drawers too exact on the width. It fit in between the slides, but they wouldn't actually slide. Eventually I had to plane and sand my way to a more narrow drawer.

It fits but won't slide


That works! Attached the door and now it mostly slides


It's actually 35" deep
So I started with the right side drawer. Built the box, fitted it into the hole, and attached the slides. Then attached the door front and handle so it looks natural.  Hopefully I can apply these lessons learned onto the left drawer?

mmmmm slides

This one was easier

Finished product! Looks natural

This one is only 2' deep
I'm really glad this kitchen remodel is finally done. After my surgery, I couldn't lift anything heavy but the recovery time was really messing with me mentally. I had to do something with my hands.These drawers were light and fit the bill. Great way to keep my hands busy, keep the wife off my back about finishing these things, and give me that feeling of accomplishment. Of course, they could have been better, but the drawers get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment