Thursday, February 14, 2019

Time for some woodworking

We decided to make shiplap siding for the handrails to give the porch more of an enclosed feeling. Not having ballasts for the handrail that you could see through gives it a cozy, intimate feel. That means I can use traditional wall framing techniques for the handrails. And since I just got a new air compressor for Christmas this year, I bought a framing nailer and was ready to go to town. Let's build walls!

The weather didn't want to cooperate for a while to get more bricks down. I had a few days to fill.

Let them eat posts! 6x6x8' posts to support the roof

I cut, routed, and painted the tops of the handrails before building the actual handrails

Lumber for walls now mixed in with the concrete & mortar. Let's hope they get along

Installed the post toppers and 6x6 anchors to hold the first 2 posts

New air compressor (Craftsman) and framing nailer (Rigid) - and a wall


My eldest got some anime wig & costume - hilarious!

The kids holding the wall in place

Next day I got it anchored to the brick

Also mounted the left ledger board, first post, and the header for that side!!!!!
There was a couple of days when the temps got high enough to actually lay some brick too. Very small pockets of progress can be made after the polar vortex came through.

It's starting to look like a brick wall now!

This side too. getting there!


Next post, I'll get the stairs finished off, make more progress on the roof rim, and possibly finish off the masonry!

No comments:

Post a Comment