Monday, March 11, 2019

Onward to Carpentry

Now that the masonry is all wrapped up I can get deep into the woodworking to wrap up this front porch. There are some intimidating parts left here, not even going to front like I know how to do all of this. First I've got to get these walls up!

We decided to go with fully enclosed walls using shiplap siding made from exterior plywood like I used in the bathroom remodel inside. It gives the porch a rather intimate feeling while still getting plenty of breeze and comfort. Plus it lets UPS hide packages behind a wall so they can't be seen from the street.

Front wall

Right wall - note how I had to cut it down to fit under the window


fully installed with a center support block



Now with more roof rim!

Got the 3rd post and header installed


Finished the right beam

Front beam is done. Notice anything wrong there?



Happy carpenter!
What's wrong with that top beam? It looks like it dips down in the center. Well there is only one way to find out. I put a nail in each of the two outer posts and pulled a string tight between them. The string came out level, but.....

Yep, it's short

unhappy carpenter
Yep, this is a mistake. People don't often publicize their mistakes like this but I'm putting it out there. My father-in-law is a structural engineer, so I ran it past him to see how to fix it. Take down the entire front beam and put a new post in?

Maybe I'll have it solved by the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment