Friday, March 13, 2020

Dock Flooring

Recently, my mother-in-law fell through part of the dock at her lakehouse. The deck flooring was just regular 2x6 pressure treated boards, but these were put in when they built the house 30 years ago. So it's time to replace some of this flooring. We didn't really know how much, but the section where she fell through is in full sun and is a diagonal section that is 18' across on all sides. I'm not going to do the calculus on that one, just call it very large.

Stripped down to the framing

Notice the giant knot in my forehead




The finished dock floor
The worst part of this was removing the old deck flooring. It was put in with spiral nails so that rotten wood was impossible to get out. Twice I actually snapped off a piece of the board that flew up and hit my face - once across my left eye and once in the right side of my jaw. This was unbelievably painful and dangerous. If I lost an eye to this stupid dock I would be more pissed off than any other way that could happen. I brought my air compressor and framing nailer, so I used 3" coated galvanized nails to put the new flooring down. Let's hope this holds up for a while. Eventually I'll have to get down there again and replace more of the dock flooring but I'm hoping to hold off until the weather cooperates, which is roughly when hell freezes over (I'm not a fan of going to SC)

No comments:

Post a Comment