Monday, March 9, 2020

Starting some countertops

Kelley has always hated the ceramic tile countertops that were here when we bought the house 10 years ago. Replacing them.... we got a $1600 quote from Lowe's for granite or quartz. Then I went to the local American Woodyard, they had 16' long 2x6 oak planks for just over $20 each. $104 and I had my countertops ready to be assembled. Butcher block coutertops for the win!

I basically needed 3 sections cut up, well really 4 but one is only about 4" wide. So I had to cut those 16' boards into 8', 4' and 3' sections, roughly picking the best sections out of each board. Those things (whole) weigh about 150 lbs each so it was not easy to move around, and the final assembled products were going to be heavy.

16' board in a 20' shed
this stuff is rough cut coming off of the sawmill. The sawmill guy said people normally use those things for barn framing. I started by squaring the ends, then cutting my sections to length. Then I had to rip those things to a rough width on the table saw and run them through the planer. I needed about 25" wide for the final product with all 5 boards edge glued together. The boards all had to be exactly the same thickness for the glueup to be flat in the end. Needless to say, it made a bit of sawdust

That's all oak planer shavings

Sections are cut, ripped, and planed

Also ran some walnut and cherry though the planer - multicolored shavings! So pretty!


That walnut & cherry lumber as well - future projects
I found out just how green that was at that point - it needed time to dry. I bought it on Dec 6, and planed it down Dec 28 2019. Also during that time I built more than a few beds. We'll pick up the countertops again in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment