Friday, January 22, 2021

New Mantle

 I'm in the middle of this large project for a friend when he brought over a mantle that's been in a kiln for a few months. There were some pretty serious checks in there, it's very thick, and from the same tree as the rest of the furniture I'm building for him. This mantle turned out incredible, I'm really happy with it and can't wait to see it on the wall.

These are bench tops for the kitchen table I'm building for him. Cool radius corners

Shaped, planed, and sanded

Really cool defect where this branch pulled out

Tons of large checks/cracks in the top and some spalting on the back

Big checks in the bottom as well

checks got filled with epoxy, so did that cool burl

No idea why the Old Masters finish left all of these black spots, but I had to sand all of that off to get it clean.


Finished product


This mantle turned out super cool. It started rough cut, so I had to cut it to size first, then plane and sand everything to a finished look. I used some TotalBoat epoxy to fill in all of the checks & cracks that came out of the kiln, also exposed a really cool burl on top and some spalting on one side. 

Taylor loved it. I'll post a picture of the finished product once it's installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment