Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Building Small End Tables

 I had an idea to build some small end tables to sell after stumbling across some floating top tables somewhere. So I came up with a design, sketched out a few things, and started cutting. I bought some walnut & cherry and started cutting. These things turned out really cool, but I've only sold 1 so far.

Starting with some rough lumber - 3 boards of walnut & 1 cherry, some live edge

Started by cutting out some tops - 3 walnut (2 live edge) and a cherry

Forming legs, the front has a 10* bevel then I nailed the legs on

Big stack of legs



Cherry table

Looks like the top is floating over the base

Got all four tables standing, need some finish







I started out by forming some tops, 2 with a live edge and 2 flat edges. The real trick was cutting the leg assemblies. I set a 10* angle on the miter saw and cut legs 18.5" long to short. Then cut the short pieces with the same setting on the saw, so I could join them with the legs to create a flat top to the angled cuts. 

I made a table jig so I could get all of the curved pieces consistent, just a scrap board that I had in the shop, cut a gentle fair curve for the top ends, a paint can curve for a tighter radius, and a 5/8" forstner bit hole to the ends for the stretcher curve. So I made the stretchers to fit between the leg assemblies, at a length appropriate for each top, and attached them to the top with pocket screws. The coolest part was when I discovered one of the tops was too narrow. I rabbetted in some maple for a very dramatic effect.

The end result is some seriously cool tables. I added them to the Etsy store and put ads on facebook marketplace, craigslist, and nextdoor for $120 each. Got one response asking if I could build a super strength cat scratching post and Kelley's cousin wants one. Leave me a comment if you'd like one, happy to part with any of these or make a custom size table for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment