Sunday, June 2, 2019

Start Sheeting, More Framing

First part of sheeting the roof was to get the nail gun loaded up with the shorter nails. The Rigid framing nailer is great, but it takes round head nails in a 21* strip, from 2" in length up to 3.5" - I used 3.25" nails for the 2x6 framers but sheeting goes down with a smaller nail. Reviews were mixed from some guns about being able to switch lengths/diameters of nails but the Rigid framer handled it like a champ. I started sheeting the backside of the porch roof because I was wary about the framing next to the chimney.

This nail gun is amazing


I have this kickout below the existing roof built to go below the rim beam. it's weird. I'm going to sheet it anyway. If it still looks like an afterthought then I'll have to do a whole lot of framing up on the existing roof to get it all looking inline.

Nailing off the weird lower framing

All of the ceiling joists are in and sheeting has started!

My kid even approves

nailing off the peak

It's only 16 feet up but it feels really high when you're up there

I get a helluva view of the boat that I will eventually work on again

It is a pretty yard from up high

Water is shedding down this valley and over to the kicker

it's just weird.
Kelley got some pics of me sitting up on the peak



That kicker is just weird. It saves me a helluva lotta framing work and a few hundred bucks in shingles, but it just doesn't work with the design. Come on John, rip it down and do it right.

I started sheeting the front side

This board is the key to the new framing. I should have gone higher

Framed over the kicker

Framed around the chimney

This would turn out to be an even bigger mistake

All framed up!


Added some more sheeting already too
This looks good, right?  I can tie the angle for the new roof into the existing roof, then it comes down to the cricket and should split water runoff around the chimney

Well, this was done in mid-April. Now it's June and I can't get this part of the new roof to stop leaking. Everything else is dry. I think instead of turning down there I should have extended that top rail up to meet the valley, then framed from that point down to the corner of the cricket, essentially changing the route of the valley. So now I get to rip up all of this already "finished" roof and rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment