Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Muscadine's gone, man

I finally finished setting up the boat building area next to the deck. Still need a couple of strong friends to help me move that thing over there, but at least there are now rocks on the ground. Here's the before:

A loaded set of vines in the summer

6 vines on 3 trellis

starting to come down
When my grandfather retired he moved to a farm and grew muscadines. Every house we move into I plant vines, they take a few years for the grapes to come in. This time I planted some of the same varieties that he grew. The reality is that these would produce tons of grapes at a very small size and the bugs or birds would get them all. Every year it looks like I will fill 5 gallon buckets with these things, and I get nothing in the end. This year I got 4 grapes. From all 6 vines, not even 4 grapes per month. 4 grapes total. I actually left the front trellis standing for about 2 months longer than I really wanted just to let the last 2 grapes ripen. they were delicious. And I still cried every time I cut one of the vines down from missing my grandfather so much. He passed away 21 years ago from cancer and it still hurts.

Small, not ripe

getting there
After building the porch, it created a bottleneck between the brick column, the rain chain, and the first trellis. After I took down the back few trellis' I was able to build that deck to assemble and paint furniture (that's working out really well). So the bottleneck had to be opened up.

No more vines, and a teenager surfacing a slab table

I did actually connect those lines of rocks too
Eventually we are going to landscape this yard around the porch, and put in a brick paver pathway from the driveway all the way to the shed. Right now we're enjoying decorating the porch, and I'm super busy building stuff.

For fall, all setup for thanksgiving

and all lit up for Christmas!
Next Christmas we'll have some trees, shrubs, and mulch in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment