Tuesday, December 1, 2020

My First Couch

 Instead of a hanging bed, I had a great customer order a hanging couch. She had a specific size in mind, and custom ordered the cushions for that. So I took my normal twin hanging bed and resized the frame, and had to come up with a design to get the back at an angle, and make some clean arms. My first attempt at a couch!

I started with the same basic frame, but at that custom size. Well, actually 2" wider to allow for the back supports. Add the arms and the back supports, then finish wrapping the frame. Add some seat slats, and paint the whole thing.

Starts as a pile of boards and a quart of paint

Assembled the frame with the 2x4's under for hanging

Added the corner pieces and back supports


Starting to add the arms, seat slats, and front/side wrapping

Finished off the arms and back slats. Also notice the cutout of that top piece





Used a gray Kilz primer and 2 coats of some exterior paint

Installed on the porch, this isn't pretty

Hanger details

Cane back to me for more paint & seat slats

Installed with better rope this time



This one came back to me. After installing the first time, they wanted more seat slats added, and a different rope solution. The porch has 9' walls and a sloped ceiling. They wanted it mounted on 2 points so it swings on an arc like a porch swing, rather than the typical 4 mounts that make it swing on a flat plane. The white ropes I picked up were 9'8" long, and I really thought they were going to work but by the time I tied the knots off for hanging the couch sat about 2' off of the ground - way too high, and not too stable. They wanted to go with a synthetic 3/4" manila rope, so thicker and longer. I found a 50 ft roll on amazon, cut it into 12' lengths and sealed the end with a blowtorch. 

This project turned out fantastic, I'm really happy with it, and the family wants me to build another one for their lakehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment