Monday, January 27, 2020

Couple of boards

I picked up a cool piece of maple and cut a charcuterie board out of it. Kelley ended up liking it so much that I can't sell it, it did turn out really cool. After I grabbed the pictures, I added a hole in the handle and a leather strap through it.

Also, my brother Michael wanted me to make something for him to give his wife for Christmas, so of course I was happy to jump on board. I picked up some walnut at the same time I got that maple, sized a chunk out of that and had it engraved. Michael said he wanted a more formal approach to the sign. I had to size the sign (turns out I made it too tall), routed a roundover edge on the table, then after it was engraved added spraypaint to color fill the lettering and put a finish on it. I tried a new finish I heard recommended on a podcast and really like it. Old Masters makes something called Masters Armor, which dries really fast (about 30 minutes) and continues to harden for 24 hours. Pretty neat stuff, I also used it on a bed later.

Picked up some Maple, cherry, and walnut (L-R)

Cut this out of the maple board

That grain pattern is really cool


Michael's sign



There's my brother (right)! I went to visit him for a bit


One of my fraternity brothers sent us some meats & cheese as a thank you for something we did to help his son. The board has a live edge on 2 sides with bark, and I cut a gentle curve on the wide side and a handle on the other side with a jigsaw tilted to about a 10* angle. The board came already planed pretty smooth, but I still had to do plenty of sanding. Then I put on 3 coats of tung oil and 3 coats of butcher block conditioner (wax + oil) to finish it off. All food safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment