Thursday, January 9, 2020

Double down on double time

I had all of the components built out but finishing these first two sets of bunk beds was coming to a head. Turns out they needed to be installed on the same day! My fatal flaw was the weather. Putting the deck outside and uncovered just to "stay within the bounds of the law and building codes" whatever that is. The rain kills, it makes my entire work environment for these big beasts useless.

I see 3 beds & 2 slides


Better look at the slides. With epoxy, before paint

Now with more paint


Loaded back into the shed

Notice there's still a ton of lumber down there
So the first set was painted and ready, or at least primed at this point. Time to assemble number 2, a twin over twin toddler with a slide and a climbing wall.

Frames



Assembled with slide


Now with slide and climbing wall?

adding the safety railing

safety rails on the bottom too

all of those vertical pieces on the bottom were a real pain

Ready to paint

down and primed
The family for the second bed has a kid flying in from California, so I had to have this one finished on the deadline or the kid is sleeping on the floor. The toddler bed on the bottom had vertical safety rails for some reason, she didn't want the baby getting out in the middle of the night. These people were amazing so I really tried to bend over backwards for them, even outside painting at 11:30 pm with a headlight on just so I could get the deadline complete. Here's how it all played out:

ready to paint?

Yep, they wanted blue. And that is the white bunk bed stacked up on the porch because everything else was taken
So Ella and I delivered the blue beds first. This was a tiny room we had to work in, so we did the best we could. I am glad she is still a teenager, able to get back into the small spaces and use the drill!

Climbing wall is in!

Toddler bed is on the floor

that slide rocked
So in the last picture, you can see that the slide actually passes through a doorway. I went down the slide after we were done, and I did not hit my head on the doorway. Mission accomplished! The safety rails are all in, the mattresses are in, everything is tight but working fine. I heard the kids loved it too.

Ella and I didn't even have time to stop for lunch, we had to get back home, pick up the white bed, and get back out to Chapel Hill for the 2nd install. This one turned out to be much easier

White twin over full, with slide

this was super nice


She wanted to be able to move the slide over to the other side of the bed if needed. The kid absolutely loves this one. There is an update: She called me back to add some handles to the top and tighten up the rail some on the ladder side:

it's a nice touch
I like that, so I'm going to be adding those rails and handles to all of the beds from now on. Well, not those handles but by the color of customer choice. It created an opening that the kid could easily get into at 28" wide, and the handles are a nice stabilizer.

These beds turned out fantastic, and the customers all were very happy with the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment