Friday, October 23, 2020

Kicking off 2 new builds

 For some foolish reason I decided to kick off two builds at the same time. The first was a HUGE announcement - after a year I finally made a sale from my Etsy store! A full size hanging daybed in Oak. We had some communication to work out the final details and I went off to buy supplies. At the same time (same day, in fact) I had another order come in for a new set of bunk beds. Frames are frames, so I dove into both projects at the same time.

That's a lot of supplies


Frame for the hanging double

Parts for the bunks

One twin bunk


Two twin bunks

Notice how the slats on the hanger go to the edge - it gets wrapped with oak


You can notice a difference between the two types of frames. For the twins, the 2x3's are fastened to 2x6's, then the slats sit inside because the 2x6's get sanded to form the outside of the box. For the hanger, the 2x3's get the slats on top and that is the end of the frame. 

With the supplies, I tried a new lumberyard that several people told me to check out. Raleigh Reclaimed turned out to be amazing. Not super expensive like a bunch of the other lumberyards I've used, and not fresh off of the saw air dried stuff like the main lumberyard. This oak was planed and kiln dried all in house. They had massive amounts of mahagony and all kinds of other species that made me drool. So this red oak is really nice.

For my next trick, I'll have to start working this oak to get the stringers built for the hanging daybed, and then get to wrapping the hanger. Then, assemble the bunks and build out the rest of their parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment