Sunday, October 11, 2020

Walnut table and Sofa table

 I had some walnut left over from another project and needed a side table between the couch and a chair, so I took this really cool burl and started working up a tabletop. Also, while my back was out, we moved a floor lamp behind the couch. So I built a sofa table to take the couch off of the wall and make the lamp look more normal. On pinterest, I saw where someone cut an insert out to slide a power strip in there, and I think the family will love being able to plug in their phones from the couch. 

Used TotalBoat Epoxy to fill in a knothole and check


Drew the side rail and leg positions to get measurements

Getting some assembly



Sofa table taking shape

Detail of the cutout for the power strip

Sofa table is painted and stuck back there


The lamp fits right in there


Now with more power strip. The couch was blocking an outlet

To make the sofa table, I used a 2x6x8' and a 1x8x10', this is a huge couch. I cut the 2x6 up to the height of the back of the couch, and cut the same length off of the 1x8. Then just nailed the it all together with the finish nailer and cutout the drop for the power strip. A little sand & pain, this was easy and makes a big impact. 

For the walnut table, the top took a lot of time to prepare. I did an epoxy pour to fill in a knot hole and a check in the wood, those sanded out nice. I took a lot of time to shape the rounded corners and get everything filled and smoothed just right. The base was just some extra stock I had leftover, cut to a specific size that I just made up. Legs and rails aren't even joined together with anything special. I used pocket screws to attach the top. Also went a little overboard with the roundover bit on the router. I still have to build a drawer - I'll get to it eventually. The wife wanted a table that was a specific height for this lamp to sit, so this got the table in place. The drawer can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment