Friday, September 3, 2021

Small Butcher Block

 So I forgot to post anything for the entire month of August. I call it Hell Month, because I can't stand the heat so I tend to shrink down into my own pit of despair for a while. At least now it's September, and I'm still writing about projects that I built in March. Yeah, I'm behind on a lot of stuff.

That's a lot of clamps!


Finished product

I added some feet!



To make these, I start by planing a bunch of boards to the same thickness. They have to be exactly the same thickness to get the look right - then I rip them on the tablesaw to 1 7/8" wide. Apply glue liberally to the faces of the boards, and get them in the bar clamps. I use the boards with the grip clamps to keep the top & bottom of the boards aligned. 

After the glue cures, run the board back through the planer to get the top & bottom perfectly smooth. Trim the sides first. Then when you get all 6 sides clean, run the corners through a roundover bit on the router. Then I made some feet out of a scrap strip and glued those onto the bottom. 

Finishing the block starts with sanding through every grit - 80, 120, 180, 220, and 320, then I rub some Butcher Block Conditioner on all surfaces. It usually takes 2 coats of the conditioner, that's an oil and wax mix so it takes a while for the first coat to soak in.

I tried to sell this one, but we ended up taking it up to the mountains when it didn't sell after like 3 months. Kelley loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment